Sunday 8 November 2015

Don't wait for Inspiration - be the inspiration !

It's been a fortnight of two halves to pinch a sporting phrase ... I guess I'm paying the price for the amount of running I have done recently together with the extra weight I've been putting on my back.

Anyhow, following the 1st ever parkrun, I had a few days off which was then followed up with a gentle 7ish miler around where I live. It was nice to get out there and just run, with no need for speed, checking the time and so on ... I ended up completing 6.7 miles in 56 minutes, 3 minutes faster than I've run the same route in the past ... I keep telling myself to run on feel and I should do just more of this .... my body knows when I'm going too fast for the intended distance, I just need to learnt to trust my body a bit more !

Followed that run up with the second Swansea Bay Park Run, but with a difference, I had promised to pace a couple of friends around the 5K route, to try and get them under 25 minutes ... in fact, I'd planned to run at 7min 50 secs a mile pace, which would give us a time of around 24 mins and 30 seconds ... we did it in 24 mins 24 seconds ... new PB's or just missing it by 1 second ... great running from all concerned and it felt good to help others achieve their target times rather than just concentrate on me ... in fact, I'd like to do some more of this ... it felt good shouting at someone with 200 metres to go !

The next day was the big one of the week, meeting up with 12 time MdS finisher Rory Coleman and another MdS entrant Jeff Smith, to tackle the sands of Merthyr Mawr .... the plan was to run a loop through the sands from the car park, up and down a few dunes, onto the beach, along to the river and back into the sands finishing off in the car park, a loop of about 4.3 miles. I'd also decided, if running on sand wasn't enough, to try it with some weight, so I added 4kg to my rucksack and headed off at 9.00 in the morning. We did a loop, had a break for water and some chews and headed off again, and again and again, in fact we ran the loop a total of 6 times. Thereby completing by 2nd marathon in two weeks and 8th in 11 months ... pace was MdS pace apparently, averaging around 14 minutes a mile .. now that not may sound fast, but consider that the weight on my back will be double that in the desert and the temperature will be more than double .. and the distance over the week will be 6 times what I ran on the Sunday - the enormity of the task ahead has really hit home ! I should point our that distance on Strava is wrong for some reason, we absolutely hit 26.2 miles. ...





I had some much needed rest for the next week only venturing out the following Sunday for a gentle recovery run of 3 miles near where I live. I've started to notive some aches and pains while I've been resting, a dull pain below my right kneecap and a slight twinge now and again just above my left Achilles ... anyhow, I'm glad I've rested and am ready to hit circuit training on Monday evening to see how I manage on the legs.

My fundraising is still progressing very well, with my total just a few pounds shy of £3,000 ! How amazing is that ? Anyhow .. my fundraising night in The Old Inn, Penllergaer is fast approaching on the 14th November. We have a DJ who is doing the night for free, which I am very grateful for. There'll be a raffle for some fantastic prizes, too numerous to mention all of them but £150 worth of waffle party for kids, L'Oreal hampers of mens and womens products, afternoon tea for two in Morgans hotel and much much more. The highlight of the evening will be the auction, which has progressed very well over the past few days ... here we go

1. Cowboy rugby hat, with many rugby badges on, some which are quite rare, current bid £40



2. A 4 ball golf day in the Vale Resort, Hensol, I'm told its the Lakes course and theres no time limit for when you need to play. I'm guessing you could play  a round during the 6 nations next year and see if you can watch some of the Welsh squad training - current bid £100

3. Football signed by the Manchester City squad - current bid £45

4. Two gold tickets to watch the Ospreys play ASM Clermont on 16/17th January, with access to the premier lounge, current bid £100

5. Signed Everton football shirt, current bid £50


6. Swansea City signed shirt, with signatures printed on, with a certificate of authenticity, current bid £70


7. Ospreys away shirt from 2010/2011 season, signed by squad at the time, including Tommy Bowe, AWJ, Shane Williams, Richard Hibbard, Duncan Jones, Paul James, Lee Byrne, Mike Phillips and I think Marty Holah and Jerry Collins ... all in a nice frame, current bid £150


8. Signed Manchester United football shirt, with pictures of the players who have signed it, along with clarification of which signature is which and certificate of authenticity, current bid £110 ... that's an absolute steal at that price, please don't let it go for that !

Wow, what a list .... I'm hoping that our fundraising total gets a massive boost next week !

Not much planned for this week ,a few short runs and circuits on Monday evening.

If you're looking for a reason to get out there, looking for something to give you a kick to get you going ... don't wait for inspiration - go out and be the inspiration !

Til next time

Fatboy !

No comments:

Post a Comment