Sunday 6 March 2016

In the depths of Winter ....

In a thoughtful and reflective mood the past few days. Maybe its the realisation that no matter what I do between now and the 10th of April, there's little I can really do to change the outcome ( in a positive manner ). I'm well aware there's plenty I can do to make the challenge that much harder, I guess I need to ensure I don't, but that doesn't mean wrapping myself up in cotton wool.


A few people have recently asked when I started running and why, along with why the distances ...I'm going to bore the pants off you know, I'll try to be as concise as possible!


It all started with a kickabout with a football and my youngest daughter on the street where we live, about 3 years ago. Now, I was a tad heavier back in those days, as you can see from the picture below ( and yes Dan Biggar was a bit younger as well !)





Well, the 'game' didn't last long, in fact after about 5 minutes, I was shattered so told my daughter that I had to go in and sit down as I was tired ... the look on her face said it all .... it was one of utter disappointment, I recognised it instantly and felt embarrassed. I should point out my weight was close to 17 stone at the time and I smoked around 20 a day as well ... proper fitness fanatic I was !
Anyhow, that look on her face pushed me into action, I quit smoking and joined a gym on the same day. My first run on a treadmill was memorable for all the wrong reasons, it lasted precisely 58 seconds and ended with me heading to the toilets as I thought I was about to vomit. I was talked into signing up for the Cardiff Half Marathon, which was about 5 months away at the time ... I managed to complete the 'diff half in 2 hrs 4 mins which I was pretty darn pleased with.

From there, well, its just been a case of, if I can manage a half, why not try a full marathon .. if I can manage a full one, why not try an ultra, if I can manage an ultra, why not try 'the worlds toughest footrace' ! I mean how hard can it really be ?

Along the way, we've had health issues at home with Lou, my wife, culminating in her having to battle breast cancer back in 2014, coping with a bilateral mastectomy .... How could I possibly not do the runs, and try to raise money for charity, when she is being so strong ? The runs are a piece of cake compared to what she has had to deal with over the past 3 years ( and continues to deal with now ). So, here I find myself, about a month away and trying to raise money for the NSPCC, the charity that Lou chose.

There ! That's as concise as I could possibly make it !


Now, the last blog mentioned me running from my house, to Swansea Bay Parkrun, running the parkrun and then running home, which I did .... with 4.5kg in my backpack and I was ably supported by one of my running club buddies, Mr Mark Bamford ( with whom I've done a number of training runs with and thanks for the company Mark !). A tad over 23 miles in total, 23.6 in fact .... good training.





Club training has been going well, all speed work on the athletics track and I must say, I've really enjoyed those sessions. I guess its because I get the opportunity to mix it up and run weight free and fast  (for me anyhow).


Other notable runs also include another Merthyr Mawr Marathon, which I did with full kit weight ... aye, 26.3 miles in total on the sand in a time of 5 hrs 17 minutes ... met Rory Coleman and Chris who joined me on laps 5 and 6 ... it was nice to have the company so thanks guys.





Saturday just passed, saw me take on the Rhayader round the lakes 20 miler .... I was warned that it was hilly, and hilly it was ...







It was my first time in this area of Wales, it was absolutely stunning, from the snow topped mountain we ran over, the 40mph hail in our face we had to fight on our way down the first big hill .. to the lakes ... look at these, truly beautiful !








Now, for those thinking, that doesn't look too hilly, here's the elevation profile .... all done after a 12 hour night shift, 2 hours sleep and a 2 hour drive to mid Wales ... tidy innit ;-)

I'm genuinely touched by the messages of support I get, so thanks for all who comment via the various social media platforms that I use. My weight is now down to around 12 stone 9lbs, that's almost 17lbs shifted in 5 weeks ..... if anyone wants to know how, just ask .... I've had help to achieve this and will be more than happy to share how ( it may not be for everyone !)

As normal, any potential business sponsors out there ? I'd love to hear from you, in return I can offer company names / logos on items of my kit. Also, if you can see your way to sponsoring my efforts, I'd be ever so grateful ... just click me.

Signing off this blog, still in reflective manner, with a quote that kept us going through 2014, it's by French author, Albert Camus. I found such strength in this quote, even now, its making the grit in my eye play up a bit ..... must remember to get the tattoo sorted upon my return from the desert.

“Au milieu de l'hiver, j'apprenais enfin qu'il y avait en moi un été invincible.”

Translated, hopefully its "In the depths of Winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer"

Fatboy







No comments:

Post a Comment