Sunday 2 August 2015

Gaining some momentum !

As the title suggests, it's been a good week on all fronts, even my calf muscles !

Fundraising; its been a great week, and I feel a lot of progress has been made, but there's still a long way to go. I've carried on mailing businesses asking for sponsorship, help in fundraising, raffle prizes etc .... below is a list of what will now be known as Fat Boys Fantastic Funders !

Fat Boys' Fantastic Funders

1. Mark Colling of M & P Motorcycles for kindly allowing me to pitch my treadmill up outside his business on the 8th August. They're holding an open day there, its well worth the visit to view all the Harley Davidsons, they look awesome.

2. Advanced Physio Nutrition for being my physio for the duration of my training, well worth considering a visit if you've got an injury, in need of a sports massage or are looking to lose weight and / or improve your fitness ! http://physioandnutrition.co.uk/services/

3. Richard Clark, Personal trainer - for donating 10 of his books for my raffle
4. Simply Gym - for donating 3 month membership and a family pass for the LC2.
5. Candyfloss cakes for agreeing to bake a cake
6. Kathy M Harris for donating 2 reiki sessions - http://katherinemharris.me/
7. Neil Collier from Collier Photography for donating a prize for the raffle.
8. Fallstreak consulting - for their sponsorship of my shorts !
9. Finally, a massive thank you to my mother in law, Mary Gillat, for contacting Manchester United and getting some officially signed merchandise from them ( and possibly Man City too)

Ok, that's the obligatory thanks for all above (I'm sure there's more, if I've missed any, I'll add them next week ) ...

Training; Followed up last weeks little 4 miler with another one just to make sure calf was ok ... it wasn't, twinged a bit going up a hill and that meant rest and ice for another 3 days. Wednesday saw my clubs (3M Road Runners Gorseinon) monthly grand prix race. This month it was a 10K along the cycle path between Gowerton and Clyne. Wasn't very confident going into it, especially as I'd just arrived straight from a 12 hour day shift ! On top of that my garmin failed to find a signal in time for the start so I was racing naked in my opinion ..... if only I'd known ! Legs felt good so I upped the pace until I caught up with someone who I knew was a lot faster than me. I hung onto his heels on the way down the gentle hill and all the way back up ... I could tell I was going faster than I usually do. Anyhow, we turn off the track to Dunvant Rugby Club and there's about 100m to the finish .... I thought I'd try to up the pace to see if I could take him .. well, I'm not sure where it came from but I ended up with a sprint finish which saw me overtake him and another runner in front of him ... I also took 2 mins off my 10K PB and all on a non-flat course ! RESULT !!
   There's a lesson there that I need to remember, run on feel not by numbers. If my garmin had been working, I'd have seen the pace, thought "SHIT! I need to slow down, I'll never carry this pace all the way through to the end" .... must remember that for future runs. Finished the week with a gently 6.5 miler in the forest where I live. So weekly total miles low at just over 16.5 but not bad considering the state my legs were in at the start of the week. Got a slow 26 miler on Monday ... with a backpack on, looking forward to it ;-) It's with Rory Coleman, 12 time MdS finisher, who coached and ran with Sir Ranulph Fiennes this year ...  looking forward to it.

Another plug for my fundraising page, just click here !

Finally, an ex work mate of mine, who took the step to finish work and set up his own business in the fitness industry sent me this ... never have I felt those words to be truer !



That's all for this week and congratulations for getting to the end !

You know it makes sense ....

Fat Boy !


No comments:

Post a Comment