Monday 10 August 2015

Relentless Forward Progress

Another great week training wise .. I'm slowly getting into the 'zone' !

Monday was my MdS training day with Rory Coleman (12 time finisher of the MdS & coached Ranulph Fiennes to completing this year) ... I figured if he can't guide me down the correct path then no one can ! I thoroughly enjoyed they time I spent with him and learnt so much about the correct kit to take .. more importantly what not to take and what not to do also. I'd urge anyone competing for the first time to spend time with him, it'll save you money and pain. Most valuable lesson of the day was how to tape my toes to avoid blisters .... tried it later in the week and it worked ! I should add that it was a 1:1 session .... once all the advice on kit had been provided off we went on a 26.2 mile run.

Now, I should admit I was very doubtful that I'd do the distance as the longest run I'd done since the ultra in May was a 13.1 miler about a month ago ... so hardly had the miles in my legs ... but what a enjoyable run it was ... not quick, as it was all about getting the pace right for out in the race, so it took somewhere around 5hrs 15 mins, maybe a bit longer ! Ran from near Sophia Gardens down to Barry and back .... managed it and my calfs felt better for it as opposed to worse that I thought they would !Home and walked the dogs a few miles just to help recovery and the same the next day.

Wednesday night was club night with 3M's - lovely session hosted by Alyson, despite the weather. Then along came Saturday - I was fundraising in M&P's open day .... I was going to attempt a 26.2 miler on a treadmill, the furthest I had ever run on a treadmill prior to then was 10K ! Must say a big thanks to all who gave so generously, especially this guy .... made the trip down from Rhos just to say hi .. legend !

 
 
And here's one of me in action too ! The keen eyed among you may realise that I'm wearing a cycling top not a running top .. NSPCC sent me that by mistake, but I couldn't not wear something with the name on when running for them ... it was warm (no where near sahara temperatures though !) ... no air flow through the top, I was gently perspiring, and had a little bit of a glow about me.
 
 
 
Now, in the past two weeks I've been trying to shed a few pounds, as advised by Mr MdS ... so I've cut out bread, potatoes, in fact anything white from my diet .. and obviously chocolate etc.... I've been very surprised by how quickly the weight has come down, from 14st 2lbs to 13st 6lbs this afternoon ! here's the proof  (picture quality not great )! I'd imagine running 66 miles in the previous 7 days helped a bit too.
 



Fatboys Fantastic Funders;

I have to say a massive thank you to everyone who donated so generously on Saturday at M&P's Motorcycle open day .... haven't had a great deal of time for anything else this week !

Again, if there are any businesses who would be open to sponsoring some of my equipment then I would love to hear from you.

Once again, well done on reaching the end, another plug click here to donate please !

Thought for today "the body wont achieve what the mind don't believe"

You know it makes sense

Fatboy





No comments:

Post a Comment